The piece of artwork I chose is a mural of a Guaraní native. I came across it as well as other pictures while I was researching the Guaraní people for my last assignment. This mural tells of a Guaraní story/myth, which depicts the unique culture of these people.
http://www.iguassu-misted-falls-vacation.com/facts-about-paraguay.html
Observations:
The mural is of a young native Guaraní reaching his hand out to a parrot. He is surrounded by a forest on one side and the ocean on the other side. With a dramatic sun slowly falling down on the horizon of the water. The mural does not appear to be a painting, since there are no colors, only a neutral tan color. It looks as if it is a wooden carving. Wooden sculptures is an important part of this culture. The mural is very detailed, with shadowing effects which give depth to the art.
Interpretation:
This mural tells a story of the life and culture of the Guaraní people. The artwork depicts "Thy myth of the twins Kuarahy and Jasy". They myth transcribes important Guaraní teachings that give meaning to the daily lives of these people. It is a story of a boy named Kuarahy who was in the womb of his mother Nandesy, when she was killed. He survived and was raised by his grandmother. One day the boy wandered into the forest and came across human bones and he prayed to him and created his twin brother Jasy. Later he discovered they were his mother's bones. A parrot was sent the Kuarahy by his father to tell him the truth about how his mother was killed (this is the scene the mural depicts). Soon after he and his brother set up a trap to kill, who was responsible for killing their mother. The story goes on telling about a land without evil and how the sun and moon are reminders to the Guaraní people of the two brothers and their story.
Judgement:
I chose this piece of art for the purpose of it having a myth behind it because it was a significant part of the Guaraní culture. At first I wondered why the artist chose to not include any color, but the more I thought about it I realized that color would have been distracting. It would have taken away from the meaning behind the mural. The neutral color gives the effect of it being "frozen" in time.
Questioning:
The only unanswered question I have is who the artist of this artwork is? I know the story behind it, but nothing about the artist. Could it be a Native Guaraní telling the story of his people, his culture, and his life? Or could it be from a Paraguaian artist who is depicting the Guaraní tribe, in which he/she is not associated with?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment