The Pre-Columbian era is defined as the time before European influences began having there effect on the Americas, prior to Chirstopher Columbus' arrival. It also includes the history of American indigenous cultures, before they were conqured by the Europeans.
The Guaraní Tribe:
The video I watched on the Guaraní tribe interested me, which compelled me to pick it for my research. I found that the video was a clip from the movie "The Mission" which I have not yet seen. The Guaraní people are an indigenous tribe located in South America, in what is now known as Paraguay. This tribe is considered to be "the most racially homogeneous in South America".
The Guaraní language is still spoken today and in fact it is the official language of Paraguay, along with some Spanish. The language is also spoken in other Guaraní regions. There are some countries such as Argentina and Brazil that speak variations of the Guaraní language. There are a few English words that derived from Guaraní roots such as "tapioca, toucan, and jaguar".
In 1511 the first European navigator Juan de Solis arrived in Paraguay. The first governor of this territory initiated an intermarriage between Europeans and Native women, as well as initiating the enslavement of these people. In 1610 the first mission, Loreto was established by Father Cataldino and Father Marcerata, with the purpose of protecting the people from slavery.
Sources:
I used National Geographic as a source, which is a credible site because it is a historical and factual website and magazine. It is known world-wide for its in depth discoveries of places, people, animals, etc. I also used wikiepdia which is not as credible. I have checked information off of this website with other ones and it has always lined up, but the fact that it can be edited, makes it not totally credible. As my video source I used the one given for this homework assignment.
http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/places/countries/country_paraguay.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guaran%C3%AD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwbEe4gAHJ0
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment